Finished Oomph quilted zipper bag
When did I sew these quirky quarter log cabin blocks? I don’t remember exactly, but my guess is that it must have been in the early 2000s. A few years ago, I found six of these blocks in a forgotten storage box. I added some strips to the edges and sewed two and two together – and promptly forgot all about them.
This year, the time had come for these quilt blocks to become something. I added a strip to make the surface into a suitable size for a zipper bag, then quilted it and – ta-dah! – the first zipper bag panel was ready! I had to pair this panel with a different surface, which features surprisingly many solids or nearly solids! Such fabrics are a small minority in my stash.
Here, the quilted, untrimmed zipper bag panels are waiting for the next phase in the bag-making process: A lot happened between the previous photo and this next one:
Whoa! But after those process steps, the quilted zipper bag called Oomph / Puhti was finished! Here she poses in the evening sun: This side of the Oomph zipper pouch features two vintage fabrics in the block on the right. The spring-green flower fabric is a remnant from a summer frock that my mother sewed for me nearly 60 years ago.
The yellow fabric with black numbers is from the 1990s. I used it for a short-sleeved shirt for my husband, and later for a pair of boxers. I must have bought A LOT of it then because I’ve used the remnants in several other quilting projects, not only for this block. Just a couple of days ago, I cut four 2-inch squares out of a piece that was left over from the Sixten quilt. So my 9-patch quilt is going to feature this yellow fabric as well!
The other side of the Oomph zipper bag looks like this: I found a leftover piece of one of my quiltbacks and chose it for the lining because the peachy colour of the background matched the warm hues on the zipper bag panels. You may be able to deduce from the previous photo that Oomph is of my Open series of zipper bags. That means I’ve sewn it according to the Open Wide Zippered Pouch tutorial by Noodlehead. The bag opens up generously.
The strategic measurements of the Oomph zipper bag are as follows:
Want more quilting inspiration?
If you want to follow my quilting endeavours – what I’m working on, the past projects and what I’ve finished (and get some quilting tips, too), you can subscribe to my biweekly newsletter here: https://tilkunviilaaja.blogspot.com/p/subscribe-today.html
(Remember to take the second step when subscribing: you will get an email asking you to confirm. My emailing system can only send you the newsletters if you have clicked on the button in that email.)
This year, the time had come for these quilt blocks to become something. I added a strip to make the surface into a suitable size for a zipper bag, then quilted it and – ta-dah! – the first zipper bag panel was ready! I had to pair this panel with a different surface, which features surprisingly many solids or nearly solids! Such fabrics are a small minority in my stash.
Here, the quilted, untrimmed zipper bag panels are waiting for the next phase in the bag-making process: A lot happened between the previous photo and this next one:
- Trimming
- Cutting the lining pieces
- Choosing the zipper and attaching it
- Side tabs cutting, sewing and attaching
- Sewing the zipper pouch into shape
- Topstitching next to the zipper
- Shortening the zipper, sewing the hexagon tab and attaching it
- Cutting and sewing a narrow strip and attaching it to the zipper pull.
Whoa! But after those process steps, the quilted zipper bag called Oomph / Puhti was finished! Here she poses in the evening sun: This side of the Oomph zipper pouch features two vintage fabrics in the block on the right. The spring-green flower fabric is a remnant from a summer frock that my mother sewed for me nearly 60 years ago.
The yellow fabric with black numbers is from the 1990s. I used it for a short-sleeved shirt for my husband, and later for a pair of boxers. I must have bought A LOT of it then because I’ve used the remnants in several other quilting projects, not only for this block. Just a couple of days ago, I cut four 2-inch squares out of a piece that was left over from the Sixten quilt. So my 9-patch quilt is going to feature this yellow fabric as well!
The other side of the Oomph zipper bag looks like this: I found a leftover piece of one of my quiltbacks and chose it for the lining because the peachy colour of the background matched the warm hues on the zipper bag panels. You may be able to deduce from the previous photo that Oomph is of my Open series of zipper bags. That means I’ve sewn it according to the Open Wide Zippered Pouch tutorial by Noodlehead. The bag opens up generously.
The strategic measurements of the Oomph zipper bag are as follows:
- Width at the top: 29 cm (around 11-1/2”)
- Height: 17,5 cm (around 6”)
- Depth at the bottom: 7 cm (around 2-3/4")
Want more quilting inspiration?
If you want to follow my quilting endeavours – what I’m working on, the past projects and what I’ve finished (and get some quilting tips, too), you can subscribe to my biweekly newsletter here: https://tilkunviilaaja.blogspot.com/p/subscribe-today.html
(Remember to take the second step when subscribing: you will get an email asking you to confirm. My emailing system can only send you the newsletters if you have clicked on the button in that email.)
When did I sew these quirky quarter log cabin blocks? I don’t remember exactly, but my guess is that it must have been in the early 2000s. A few years ago, I found six of these blocks in a forgotten storage box. I added some strips to the edges and sewed two and two together – and promptly forgot all about them.





Comments